Salted Caramel Ingredients: (make this 1st)
⚫50g caster sugar
⚫50g golden syrup
⚫50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
⚫75ml double cream
⚫½ tsp sea salt flakes
1. Place the caster sugar and golden syrup in a small, heavy-based pan, add 1 tablespoon of water and set over a low heat to allow the sugar to dissolve completely without burning. Bring to the boil and cook over a medium heat until the syrup turns to an amber-coloured caramel.
2. Remove from the heat and add the double cream and butter to the hot pan. Return the pan to a low heat for a couple of minutes to allow the caramel to re-melt and continue to cook until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat, add the sea salt, leave to cool and then chill for at least 2 hours. (I usually make this the day before)
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
⚫225g Stork Margarine
⚫125g Caster Sugar
⚫100g Soft Brown Sugar
⚫ 225g S-R Flour
⚫4 Medium Eggs
⚫3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
⚫1Tsp Baking Powder
⚫1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
⚫A little milk to loosen the mixture
Pre Heat the oven to 180ºC / 160ºC fan / Gas Mark 4
1. Cream The Margarine and sugars together well, until the mix is pale and creamy.
2. Add the eggs, 1 at a time and cream well between each, then add the vanilla extract.
3. Mix the Flour, Baking Powder and Cocoa in a bowl, then Sieve into Creamed mixture.
4. Fold together the flour and creamed mixture until well combined. Add a little milk to loosen, so the cake is at a dropping consistency.
5. Half fill your cake cases with the cake mixture. (I use a dessert spoonful)
6. Cook in the centre of the oven for approx. 20mins or until a skewer pushed into the cake, comes out clean.
Let the Cakes Cool, then Core out the centre of the cake and leave to cool completely.
Once the cakes are cool, almost fill the centre with the chilled Salted Caramel. Use a little of the cored out cake to cap the top of the salted caramel.
Black Cherry Buttercream Ingredients:
⚫200g Sugar and Crumbs Black Cherry icing sugar http://www.sugarandcrumbs.co.uk/product/black-cherry-dairy-and-gluten-free-icing-sugar/
⚫200g Plain Icing Sugar
⚫150g Unsalted Butter
⚫50g Stork Margarine (alternatively use 200g Butter if you prefer)
Combine Both the Black Cherry icing and normal Icing sugars together
Beat the Butter and Stork together really well. Then add the mixed icings a little add a time to the mixer. Mix this really well until well combine and you have a creamy mixture.
Using a Star nozzle, fill your icing bag and Pipe onto the top of your cakes.
Top the icing with a Belgian Chocolate Thin, these can be sourced from Lakeland, Home Bargains and other good stockists. (Alternatively use a topping of your own choice)